In spite of decades of educational reform and federal mandates, inequities among students not only persist but are growing.
To eliminate these inequities, leaders must understand how their current piecemeal approaches are not only ineffective, but are exacerbating these inequities. Further, most equity work addresses only one aspect of inequities, such as culturally relevant pedagogy or developing culturally competent staff. Instead, educational leaders must learn how to transform the entire education system via Integrated Comprehensive Systems for Equity (ICS Equity). ICS Equity is the only equity-focused work that takes a systems approach to eliminate inequities.
Key Features of ICS Equity Include:
- Research based on over 45 years of equity research.
- Rather than piecemeal equity approaches, ICS Equity provides a Framework and Process to shift from a deficit to proactive education system for all students.
- ICS Equity advances the learning of literally all students in the district. Students currently succeeding not only will continue to succeed, but will make additional achievement and social gains. ICS Equity also addresses racial inequities and the entire range of inequities across race, ethnicity, social class, ability, gender, sexual/gender identity and their intersections.
- ICS Equity includes a built in accountability system via the Equity Audit that measures equity progress and serves as a continual improvement feedback loop to the ICS Equity work.
- ICS Equity embraces a local, bottom-up/team approach to equity implementation.
- ICS Equity reallocates existing resources. No new resources are needed and all current staff are needed to advance the work.
The ICS Equity Implementation Process
Schools, districts, universities, and agencies that have made the most equity gains with ICS Equity have completed the following:
- Their school leadership team, district leadership teams, university and agency teams have fully participated in an ICS Equity Institute which typically covers 3 full days though we customize all our Institutes to local needs.
- Utilized professional development time to work through each of the ICS Equity digital modules for each ICS Equity Step.
- Received additional ICS Equity on-going support.
We also offer custom keynotes and equity evaluations for schools, districts regions, states, educator preparation programs/departments, and universities.
ICS Equity Four Cornerstones:
Focus on Equity
Align Staff and Students
Leverage Funding and Policy
Transform Teaching and Learning
All Four Cornerstones and ICS Equity Steps are implemented in a context of community engagement and development.